Lens on History: New for 1955 — a bigger showroom
It was Christmas of 1954, and Clements Chevrolet and Cadillac were getting the present they asked for — the gift of more space.
F.B. Clements bought the assets of local Chevrolet dealer Charles Case in 1927. That included a showroom on Third Street Southwest and one on First Avenue Southwest. After World War II and needing more room, Clements bought two of the original Automobile Row dealer buildings at 315 and 319 First Ave. SW and remodeled them into their Cadillac showroom.
By 1954, with the desire for more space and to give Chevrolet a home on First Avenue, Clements moved Cadillac to the former Joy Brothers Packard garage one block south and brought Chevy around the corner to First Avenue.
It was then even easier to put a new V-8 under the Christmas tree and see the USA in a Chevrolet. Ho, ho, ho!