August heats up with events
Here are some of the big events coming up in August. To add your event to our calendar, visit www.herald-dispatch.com/hdcalendar/and click Add Event.
Wednesday, Aug. 1
• Wayne County Fair, Camden Park, Huntington. Through Saturday, Aug. 4. Visit http://waynecountyfair-wv.com.
• Roy Rogers 35th annual Festival, Wednesday, Aug. 1. Holiday Inn, Portsmouth. Wednesday-Saturday, Aug. 1-4. Visit their site at www.officialroyrogersfestival.org.
Thursday, Aug. 2
• Summer Concert Series: Ona/Brad Goodall, 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 2. Pullman Square, Huntington.
Friday, Aug. 3
• “Legally Blonde the Musical,” Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave., Ashland. 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3, and 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 4. Presented by the Paramount Players. Tickets, $18 students and $25 adults.
• WV Snakes Alive, 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3. Beech Fork State Park, Barboursville. Join WV DNR biologist Jim Fregonara in the Activities Room to meet and learn about some of West Virginia’s snakes.
• “The Little Mermaid,” Clay Center, Charleston. 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Aug. 3-4, 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 5, and 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10. Presented by the Charleston Light Opera Guild. Tickets, $28-$33.
• Murder Mystery Dinner Party, 6:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3. Heritage Farm Museum & Village, Huntington. Heritage Farm Museum and Village presents “The Great Huntington Raid.” -the story of the infamous Jesse James Gang Robbery of Huntington Bank in 1875. Tickets for this dinner theatre event are $40 and by reservation only. Call 304.522.1244. Murder and Merriment performs.
Saturday, Aug. 4
• A Festival of Saturdays Concert, 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 4. Old Central City Gazebo, Huntington.
• Way Back Weekend, Saturday, Aug. 4. Heritage Farm, Huntington. $12 adults, $10 seniors, $8 youth and 3 and under free. Visit www.heritagefarmmuseum.com.
Monday, Aug. 6
• Scioto County Fair, Scioto County, Ohio, Fairgrounds, Lucasville. Monday-Saturday, Aug. 6-11. Visit http://www.sciotocountyfair.org.
• Mason County Fair, Mason County Fairgrounds, Point Pleasant. Monday-Saturday, Aug. 6-11.
Thursday, Aug. 9
• truTV “Impractical Jokers” starring The Tenderloins, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9. Big Sandy Superstore Arena, Huntington. Tickets, $52.50.
Friday, Aug. 10
• Sesame Street Live. C is for Celebration., 6:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10. Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave., Ashland. Tickets, $30-$50.
Saturday, Aug. 11
• Barboursville Buckle Series, 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11. Barboursville Park, Barboursville. Adults $10, children $5.
• FairyTales & Fables, Saturday, Aug. 11. Clay Center, Charleston. Meet some favorite famous fairytale characters. Included with normal museum admission, which is $9 for adults and $7.50 for children. Kids 2 and under and Clay Center members receive free admission.
• Rails & Ales Craft Beer Festival, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11. Harris Riverfront Park, Huntington. Tickets, $20- $60. Visit www.railsandales.com.
• Touch a Truck, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11. Huntington High School, Huntington. Kids encouraged to touch their favorite vehicles, get behind the wheel, and meet the people who who help to build, protect, and serve the community. First two hours will be no sirens or sounds. $5 each at the gate.
Tuesday, Aug. 14
• Harmonica Club Concert, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 14. Pullman Square, Huntington. From 7-9 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month through Oct.
Thursday, Aug. 16
• Summer Concert Series: Thundering Herd Pep Rally with Madhouse, 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16. Pullman Square, Huntington.
• Rally On The River 15, Ironton. Thursday-Saturday, Aug. 16-18. Visit www.facebook.com/irontonrallyontheriver/.
Friday, Aug. 17
• Party on the Patio, 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17. Heritage Station, Huntington. The Huntington Blues Society will kick off the party followed by Creek Don’t Rise and Miss Freddeye. The free concert will pay tribute to the late blues legend Diamond Teeth Mary.
• Pilot Club of Huntington’s annual Antiques Show and Sale, Big Sandy Superstore Arena, Huntington. 6-9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 17, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, and 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 19. Tickets, $6.
Saturday, Aug. 18
• The Boykin Jazz Alley Gigs present The Greg Abate Quartet, 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave., Ashland. Tickets, $15 students and $35 adults.
• 80s vs 90s Skating Party, 11:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. Roll-A-Rama, Huntington. $15 cover, skates free.
• Friends of Education Gala, 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. Marshall University’s Don Morris Room, Huntington. Hosted by the Future of 55 PAC. Tickets, $40-$100. Call 304-544-2027.
• Honor Flight Bingo, 6 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. American Legion Post 16, 1421 6th Ave. (use side door entrance), Huntington. Prizes include Longaberger Baskets and Blenko Glassware. Door prizes will be awarded. There will be a 50-50 drawing. Refreshments available for purchase. Contact Patty Dickey at 304-208-1200. $20 for 20 games.
• Huntington Symphony Orchestra Picnic with the Pops: First Ladies of Disco, Saturday, Aug. 18. Harris Riverfront Park, Huntington.
• Macy’s Presents Hilltop: Books Only, Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, and noon-5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 19. Admission, $5 Saturday and free on Sunday.
• Mermaid Splash Bash 2018, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18. Waves of Fun, 1 Valley Park Drive, Hurricane. Tickets, $15-$35. Email email@example.com.
Thursday, Aug. 23
• Lincoln County Hillbilly Days Fair, Lincoln County Fairgorunds, Hamlin. Thursday-Saturday, Aug. 23-25. Visit https://www.facebook.com/pg/LCFairsAndFestivals/.
• 2018 Fly In Festival & Robin Kessinger WV State Flatpick Contest, Robert Newlon Airport, Huntington. Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 23-26. Weekend $40 or daily $25. Visit https://fly-in-festival.ticketleap.com/2018/.
• Shooter Jennings featuring Flat Tracker, 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23. Milton Performing Arts Center, Milton. Tickets, $25.
Friday, Aug. 24
• We Are Messengers, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24. Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave., Ashland. Tickets, $25-$35.
Saturday, Aug. 25
• The Boykin Jazz Alley Gigs present Bob Thompson & The Unit, 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25. Paramount Arts Center, 1300 Winchester Ave., Ashland. Tickets, $15 students and $35 adults.
• Concert for a Cure 2018, 6-11 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25. Barboursville Park, Barboursville. Featuring Creedence Revived Creedence Revived and Dear John: A Tribute to Lennon. Tickets, $10. Proceeds will benefit cancer patients in need at Cabell Huntington Hospital and St. Mary’s Medical Center.
• HECK YEAH FEST 3, 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 25. V Club, 741 6th Ave., Huntington.
Thursday, Aug. 30
• Summer Concert Series: Huntington Music and Arts Festival Night, 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30. Pullman Square, Huntington.