Day in History: Local men attend funeral of Billy McCoy in France
1993 – 25 years ago
• Brian Gorman and Ron Volz were two-time winners in the Rochester City Racquetball Doubles Championship at the Rochester Athletic Club. They won the men’s open division and the 25-and-over group.
• Some areas of Minnesota got up to 13 inches of snow in the Thanksgiving storm. Rochester got 3.7 inches of snow along with freezing rain. A number of vehicles in southeast Minnesota slid into the ditch.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The Rochester Veterans of Foreign Wars Post and Auxiliary will present checks totaling $1,100 toward the purchase of a small bus to transport patients to and from the Rochester State Hospital to activities and events downtown.
• Kathy Kruegel, John Marshall High School senior, was honored as Student of the Month by the West Kiwanis Club. She is editor-in-chief of the school paper, the Rocket, and a member of the National Honor Society.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Recently returned from Navy duty in the Mediterranean, Donald Kruger is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Kruger of Rochester, on a seven-day leave.
• At Mac’s Grocery ground beef is 26 cents a pound, sardines are 16 cents a can and 3 pounds of apples are 25 cents.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Several Rochester boys were able to serve as pall bearers and attend the funeral of young William McCoy in France. In a letter to his parents Howard Mulholland wrote he could not believe the friend of everybody from Rochester had died. He had just seen him the evening before he was taken sick and was the picture of health and cheerfulness.