BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) _ A bomb that wounded the Greek Catholic archbishop and Syrian-backed Christian militia leader Elie Hobeika was placed by a priest who later killed himself, Hobeika's command said Saturday.

A statement issued by the command in the predominantly Greek Catholic city of Zahle identified the priest as Samih Haddad, 30. It said he committed suicide when confronted with the charge.

It indirectly accused Father Haddad, a Greek Catholic, of collaborating with the Lebanese Forces, the Christians' main militia in the 12-year-old civil war against the Moslems.

Hobeika, 30, heads a dissident faction of the militia. He set up headquarters in Zahle after he was ousted from the command of the Lebanese Forces in January 1986 for signing a Syrian-brokered peace pact with Moslem warlords.

The accord was scuttled by his ouster. Christian President Amin Gemayel and present Lebanese Forces commander Samir Geagea, who teamed up to overthrow Hobeika, had since been at loggerheads with the Syrians.

Syria maintains 25,000 troops in eastern and northern Lebanon under a 1976 Arab League mandate. It also has a 7,500-strong contingent in Beirut's Moslem sector.

The statement said Haddad, who was in charge of administrative affairs of the archbishopric, placed the 44-pound bomb in the ceiling of Archbishop Andre Haddad's office Tuesday.

Despite the similarity in names, there was no indication the two Haddads were related.

''Minutes before the explosion at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, Father Haddad phoned Archbishop Haddad at his office, from the nearby Tell Shiha hospital, to make certain that he was meeting with Hobeika and his aides as scheduled,'' the statement said.

It said the priest detonated the bomb by a remote control device that was found in the hospital with his fingerprints on it.

When investigators from Hobeika's militia ''confronted Father Haddad with the charge and the evidence, he managed to snatch a pistol from one aide and shot himself to death below the chin,'' the statement added.

The archbishopric also issued a separate statement accusing Father Haddad of engineering the bombing that killed one person and wounded 30 people, including the archbishop and Hobeika.

The archbishop is still hospitalized with injuries. Hobeika was taken to the Syrian capital of Damascus for treatment.

The two statements said Father Haddad served with the Lebanese Forces during Israel's 1982 invasion and was later appointed spiritual guide of the militia garrison in Zahle.