AP NEWS

New Canaan employees start fundraiser for colleague following Monroe house fire

July 30, 2018

MONROE — Employees of the town of New Canaan are raising money for one of their colleagues after his Monroe home was destroyed in a fire.

The house on Greenwood Lane, owned by Nick Colabella, was deemed uninhabitable after the July 12 blaze. Colabella and his family were leaving for his grandmother’s funeral when he tried to start his car and it caught on fire in the garage, according to a GoFundMe page created by Mose Saccary, the highway superintendent in New Canaan.

Colabella could not extinguish the fire himself and called the Monroe Fire Department. Fire officials said at the time of the incident that though the fire was contained in the garage, the house had heavy smoke damage and the family could not immediately return home. No one was injured in the fire.

Colabella lived in the home with his wife, two daughters and mother, according to the GoFundMe page. A $10,000 goal was set when it was created on July 17, and just over $8,000 had been raised by Monday afternoon.

The house caught on fire on July 12

AP RADIO
Update hourly