Lennox Lewis eyes possible defense against Buster Douglas
LONDON (AP) _ Lennox Lewis could defend his WBC heavyweight title against Americans James ``Buster″ Douglas or Lou Savarese, the British champion’s manager said today.
Douglas and Savarese are being lined up as possible challengers for a Feb. 21 title defense in Las Vegas if Lewis can’t get a unification fight against the winner of the Nov. 8 Evander Holyfield-Michael Moorer bout.
Douglas shocked the boxing world by knocking out Mike Tyson in Tokyo in 1990. He lost the title shortly thereafter to Holyfield. His career then stalled when he ballooned to nearly 400 pounds and suffered diabetic complications.
But Douglas is 6-0 since he returned from a six-year absence.
``I think Douglas is a good fight for Lennox,″ manager Frank Maloney said. ``There is still a mystique surrounding him after his victory over Mike Tyson. He beat Tyson when everyone had him as a major underdog. He’s the man who beat the man.″
Savarese, who lost a 12-round split decision earlier this year to George Foreman, has also been suggested as an opponent by HBO, which carries championship bouts on its cable service.
``His style would suit Lennox,″ Maloney said.
Another option is Croatia’s Zeljko Mavrovic, the European heavyweight champion and the WBC’s No. 1 contender.
``Mavrovic is a big fight if we wanted to fight in Europe,″ Maloney said.