Delay Requested in Lockerbie Trial
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) _ Prosecutors will request a postponement in the trial of two Libyans accused of bombing Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988 following the introduction of new witnesses by the defense, the Scottish Crown Office said today.
Proceedings are scheduled to begin May 3 following two delays since Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi surrendered Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi and Lamen Khalifa Fhimah last year to stand trial at a former U.S. air base 24 miles southeast of Amsterdam.
``The crown office has requested a delay because the defense has introduced a new witness list,″ said Crown Office spokesman Howard Hart.
He added that a special pretrial hearing would be held at the special Lockerbie court at Camp Zeist on Thursday, ``when the court will decide whether or not to grant it.″
The request for a delay of several weeks was in response to the submission of 119 new witnesses and new evidence, said Hart.