AP NEWS

Franke Park plan expected to be presented in March

November 9, 2018

A master plan for Franke Park could be presented in March and will include input from stakeholders, including community groups and city officials.

The Fort Wayne Parks Board approved spending $75,520 in September to create the plan and interviews of stakeholders have been conducted to gather ideas for the park, which is among the city’s most visited.

Alec Johnson, Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department deputy director of planning and development, said at a meeting of the board Thursday the plan will include ideas for the park’s layout, ecological concerns and utilities. Other areas to be addressed include parking and the ability of nearby residents to walk to and from the park, he said.

The original master plan for the park was completed in the 1920s.

“We anticipate doing some great things there,” Johnson said.

The parks department created a website : www.frankeparkplan.com : where visitors can complete a survey with questions about past use and suggestions for the park’s future.

An input session is scheduled Dec. 20 at the park.

In other business, board members Rick Samek, Pam Kelly, Bill Zielke and Justin Shurley voted to accept the department’s 162,000 more than last year’s budget.

The budget was approved last month by the Fort Wayne City Council.

mleblanc@jg.net

AP RADIO
Update hourly