Gas Leak Leads To Evacuation Of Scranton Neighborhood For Several Hours
A natural gas leak forced the evacuation of homes in the 800 block of Prospect Avenue for several hours Monday, a UGI Penn Natural Gas spokesman said. UGI spokesman Joe Swope said an inspector called for city firefighters at 10:23 a.m. after finding higher than normal levels of natural gas while investigating a gas odor report. Swope said the inspector called PPL Electric Utilities to cut power to the neighborhood. PPL did that at 11:05 a.m., he said. City Assistant Fire Chief Jeff White said a resident smelled gas and called 911. UGI traced the leak to a gas control valve on the street and shut off service to that home. Seven residents evacuated to a Goodwill Industries office at 925 Prospect, White said. Others left the area. The block has about 10 homes. Some homes on Beech and Birch streets also evacuated. The utility has begun repairs, White said. Residents were allowed back in their homes by the early afternoon, Swope said. Contact the writer: email@example.com; 570-348-9147; @BorysBlogTT on Twitter.