Doctors Say Inmate Who Swallowed Batteries Will Probably Live
ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (AP) _ A jail inmate who swallowed four batteries as a ploy for freedom probably will live but won’t be released, officials said.
Terry Williams, 24, told jailers Tuesday morning that he ate the AAA batteries the night before, Carter County Sheriff Bill Crumley said Friday.
Williams was been taken to a hospital for X-rays that revealed three batteries moving through his digestive system and the fourth still in his stomach, Crumley said.
Williams, awaiting trial on drug charges, has suffered no ill effects but could die if the batteries leak acid, Crumley said. ″He’s taking some medicine that’s supposed to help him pass the things.″
During his three months in jail, Williams has told jailers he swallowed light bulb shards and mercury, but doctors found no evidence to back up the claims and he did not fall ill, Crumley said.
Doctors at Woodridge Hospital, a mental health facility, determined Williams behavior did not warrant additional treatment, Crumley said.
Williams is charged with selling marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and conspiracy to sell drugs, the sheriff said.