Bush Seeks NY Plane Crash Details
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:NY116-111201; AUDIO:%)
WASHINGTON (AP) _ President Bush met with advisers Monday seeking details of an American Airlines plane crash in New York.
A senior administration official said no threats against airplanes had been received and that the pilot of Flight 587 reported no trouble before the crash. There was no evidence of terrorism, several officials said.
The administration source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the FBI believes there was an explosion aboard the plane, and was investigating whether it was an accident or an act of sabotage. The official said the administration was considering suspending the takeoff of flights nationwide but there had been no decision.
Bush postponed a scheduled interview with Russian and American reporters so he could monitor the investigation into the crash of Flight 587, which had just taken off from John F. Kennedy International Airport en route to the Dominican Republic. He meets Tuesday with Russian President Vladimir Putin, opening three days of talks in Washington and Texas.
Intelligence agencies, the FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration were reviewing all recent intelligence for any signs that terrorism was involved but an hour after the crash there was no evidence pointing to an attack, said a U.S. official speaking only on condition of anonymity.
``They are comparing information to see if it provides any insight into what transpired. At this point, there’s no indication of a terrorist attack, but it certainly can’t be ruled out in current environment,″ the official said.
Bush and his chief of staff, Andrew Card, talked to New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and New York Gov. George Pataki about the crash, Card said.