Related topics

13 Die In Unusually Violent 24-Hour Period in New York City

October 13, 1989

NEW YORK (AP) _ Thirteen people were slain during an unusually violent 24-hour period, and police said the city’s murder rate this year would likely equal or exceed last year’s record high.

Among the 13 people killed between Wednesday and Thursday mornings were: a Baptist minister who police believe interrupted a burglary at his Brooklyn church; a doorman shot while resisting a robbery as he walked home from a subway station with his son; and a man who was going to be married this weekend.

Police said it was one of the most violent nights this year.

There were 1,019 homicides in the city during the first seven months of the year, 1 percent fewer than in the first seven months of 1988, when 1,030 people were slain. In all of last year, there were 1,896 homicides.

″We’re close to last year, which was a record,″ said Assistant Chief Raymond W. Kelly. ″We could still go over last year’s number.″

Robberies and car thefts already are up over last year’s statistics.

There were 51,752 robberies during the first seven months of the year, a 7.3 percent increase over the same time last year.

″These things are all related to the increased use of drugs and crack,″ Kelly said. ″People are stealing cars for parts, people are robbing other people for money to buy drugs.″

The minister killed during the violent 24-hour period, the Rev. Irving Wilson, 52, was shot in the head, apparently when he interrupted a burglary at the King Emanuel Baptist Church in Brooklyn, police said.

The doorman, Avelino Ascencio, 50, was shot by one of four teens who tried to rob him in Brooklyn.

And the man who was to be married, Phillip Delisser, 23, was gunned down while chatting with a friend on a street corner when a passer-by stopped and hissed, ″What’s up?″ Delisser died a few minutes later from three gunshot wounds, police said.

The other 10 people killed Wednesday and early Thursday included a man who was shot to death by an off-duty U.S. Customs undercover agent during an attempted robbery at a 42nd Street subway station and a 45-year-old Brooklyn man who died during a possibly drug-related dispute with four men.

Update hourly