AP NEWS

Residents escape as stove fire damages a Greensburg apartment

August 20, 2018

Firefighters exit the scene of an apartment fire on Liberty Street on Friday, Aug. 10, 2018 in Greensburg.

At least five residents were displaced when a stove fire damaged an apartment Friday afternoon along Liberty Street in Greensburg.

An unattended pot on the stove that contained grease is thought to have sparked the fire in the second-floor apartment off College Avenue, according to Greensburg Fire Chief Tom Bell. Firefighters responded to the blaze shortly after 4 p.m. and had it under control in about 15 minutes, he said.

Flames were contained to the kitchen. Bell estimated damage to the two-story building with a finished attic totaled $10,000 or more, including smoke and water damage.

All residents escaped safely and made arrangements to stay elsewhere, according to Bell. He said a pet cat, rescued from under a bed in the attic, was taken to a Youngwood facility for recovery.

AP RADIO
Update hourly