Related topics

Murder Suspect’s Navy Classmate Resigns From Academy

September 9, 1996

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) _ A first-year midshipman resigned from the U.S. Naval Academy today because he never alerted authorities about a classmate’s tales about her connection to a Texas killing.

Jay Guild turned in a resignation letter this morning and was expected to move out later in the day, said academy spokesman Scott Allen.

Guild, 18, had told the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram that he was leaving the academy rather than face dismissal for conduct violations.

``We wouldn’t speculate on what would happen if he were to stay at the academy,″ Allen said.

Guild, of Kankakee, Ill., said he stayed silent because he initially believed that fellow plebe Diane Zamora, 18, was lying about her involvement in the December slaying of 16-year-old Adrianne Jones, who body was found Dec. 4 near Mansfield, Texas.

Later, he felt that exposing her story would have been like ``turning in a family member,″ he said.

``Anybody besides me would have turned her in. And I should have, too,″ he said.

Miss Zamora was arrested Friday in Fort Worth after signing what police said was a confession.

Authorities said she had told some academy classmates that she and her fiance, David Graham of Mansfield, Texas, had a secret and referred to the slaying of Jones, whose body was found Dec. 4 near Mansfield.

According to the Star-Telegram, Guild said Miss Zamora began discussing Graham during ``plebe summer,″ the training session for first-year midshipmen that begins in July.

``She just came out and said he had cheated on her with this girl and she told him to kill her,″ Guild said.

According to authorities, the two said Graham lured Ms. Jones to a rural site, where he struck her and Miss Zamora hit the girl in the head with a barbell. Graham later shot her in the head, according to police.

Miss Zamora remained in jail today in lieu of $250,000 bail, police said.

Graham, 18, a cadet at the Air Force Academy in Colorado, also signed a confession and waived his right to extradition proceedings, Grand Prairie police Sgt. Chuck Sager said. Graham was still in jail in Fort Carson, Colo.

Sager said police had no plans to file charges against Guild.