Related topics

Police: Terrorized Scouts Gave the Wrong Campsite Name

June 4, 1987

OAK FOREST, Ill. (AP) _ Police say Girl Scout leaders gave them the wrong campsite name when summoning help after being terrorized by drunken men who threatened them with sexual assault.

Twenty-five girls ages 9 to 12 and their eight adult leaders waited for an hour after summoning police, who went to the wrong location in a forest preserve in suburban Chicago, the scout leaders said.

The campers were staying in two houses at Camp Falcon in the forest preserve near Oak Forest when a carload of young men drove up, honking the car horn and shouting profanities, authorities said.

The men threatened campers in one house with sexual assault, according to unidentified scout leaders interviewed by the Chicago Tribune.

″We’re very glad no one was injured,″ Carol Kocan, spokeswoman for South Cook County Girl Scouts, said Wednesday. ″The people involved are following up their concern with appropriate agencies. These agencies apparently are looking into the matter and deciding how the situation can be improved.″

She would not divulge the names of any scout leaders involved.

After about 30 minutes, when the threats subsided and the men appeared to have left, three adults crept out a rear door and went to a nearby dining hall to call the 911 emergency number, the scout leaders said.

They said they again called police an hour later and eventually found police at another camp about half a mile away.

Dennis Chlebos, chief of the Oak Forest police force, said his officers and sheriff’s police went to the wrong location because scout leaders gave the wrong campsite name to the dispatcher.

He said a transcript of the recording of the scout leaders’ first 911 call, received at 4:04 a.m. Sunday, shows that a scout leader began by telling the dispatcher, ″OK, we’re at Camp Sullivan.″

The scout leaders said they placed a second 911 call in which they told the dispatcher they were at Camp Falcon. Chlebos said his department has no record of a second 911 call.

Update hourly