AP NEWS
Related topics

Back to Class for Threatened School

May 16, 1999

PORT HURON, Mich. (AP) _ A school district where police say they foiled a plot by four middle school students for a mass-murder rampage like that at Colorado’s Columbine High School tentatively plans to resume classes Monday.

The Port Huron Public Schools and police said they quickly decided to close all 21 schools Friday after discovering the plot by four students at Holland Woods Middle School.

Superintendent Bill Kimball said he has formed a committee to create a security plan for the district that would be detailed publicly Sunday.

``With over 30 years in education ... I have never been involved in a situation this disruptive to the educational process,″ Kimball said. ``There is tremendous fear on the part of the student body.″

Justin Schnepp and Jedaiah Zinzo, both 14, were charged as adults with conspiracy to commit murder, and ordered held on $100,000 bond apiece.

Two other suspects were charged as juveniles with the same crime. One of those boys is 13. Police said the other boy is 12, a prosecutor said he is 13.

They are expected to appear Tuesday for a probate hearing in St. Clair County Juvenile Court. All four remained in custody Sunday.

Police allege the suspects planned to kill people at Holland Woods, which has about 560 students in grades six through eight.

Last month in Littleton, Colo., teenage gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people at Columbine before committing suicide.

AP RADIO
Update hourly