AP NEWS
Related topics

4-Year-Old Boy, Dog Credited With Saving Lives In Fire

July 6, 1985

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AP) _ A boy and his dog saved a houseful of people after a firecracker touched off a fire in the two-story duplex, but the dog perished in the blaze, witnesses said.

Four firefighters also were slightly injured.

Four-year-old Paco Falcon, his aunt and his uncle fled to safety after the boy saw the flames Friday night and woke his relatives. Meanwhile, the frantic barks of Paco’s dog, Blackie, alerted downstairs residents.

″We would have been burned up if it wasn’t for Paco,″ his uncle, James Perez, said.

″There was fire on the roof,″ added his aunt, Letty Salazar.

Paco’s mother, Dolores, was at work.

Downstairs resident William Jefferson said he and his wife, Artie James, ran when they heard Blackie.

Sixty firefighters battled the blaze more than half an hour before bringing it under control at 12:18 p.m.

Four firefighters, suffering from burns and smoke inhalation, were treated at Baptist Medical Center.

Investigators said the fire was sparked by a firecracker.