Related topics

Marcos Moves Into Beachfront Estate

March 26, 1986

HONOLULU (AP) _ Exiled Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos has moved into a private beachfront estate along one of Oahu’s busiest highways after spending nearly a month in guest quarters on an Air Force base.

Marcos may stay in the four-bedroom house for several weeks or several months, according to Stan Anderson, who said he is an attorney for Marcos.

Anderson told reporters that Marcos is leasing the Kalanianaole Highway house and adjoining cottage in Niu Valley for ″an undetermined amount of money.″

Marcos and his wife Imelda were driven to the house by limousine Monday night. Secret Service agents there said only Marcos and his wife were to live in the house. No children or grandchildren were present, they said.

It was believed to be the first time Marcos had left Hickam Air Force Base since he arrived Feb. 26 with a 90-member entourage. Mrs. Marcos had left the base several times to look at homes and visit friends.

About 20 members of the Marcos entourage remain at Hickam, but military officials said they are expected to leave in a few days.

The house, owned by Honolulu automobile dealer James Pflueger, was recently on the market for $1.5 million.

It includes a living room, dining room, family room, and bathroom for each of the four bedrooms, according to Monica Rapada, whose husband Francisco was caretaker for the previous occupants.

A concrete wall provides a buffer from heavy traffic on Kalanianaole Highway.

The Marcoses moved into the house before neighbors could react. Adverse publicity apparently prevented the couple from moving into two other houses earlier this month.

Shortly after Marcos arrived, Honolulu attorney Eric Seitz, who lives about two blocks away, was taken into custody by Secret Service agents. Seitz carried a placard reading ″Death to Marcos,″ and a Secret Service agent said it ″showed an intended threat against Marcos.″

Seitz, who was not arrested, said he would continue his protest and that other neighbors said they would join him.

Seitz reappeared Tuesday, and was arrested for obstructing the highway outside the home, said Officer Ray Duropan. Only a narrow shoulder separates the house’s property from a road.

A man who asked not to be identified said he and other neighbors are concerned about interruption of the tranquility of the area.

James Hannaman, who lives next door, said the only disruption from his new neighbors was from reporters and television cameramen who had been trespassing on his property.

″That can get a bit bothersome,″ he said.

″I just hope they don’t close the beaches,″ said Rob Rishmany, another neighbor.

Update hourly