Local college football player roundup: Bell has big day in Furman victory
Former North Augusta Yellow Jacket DeJuan Bell scored his first touchdown as a college player on Saturday in Furman’s victory against Western Carolina.
The freshman receiver provided a quick answer after Western Carolina scored on the opening drive. Bell returned the ensuing kickoff 97 yards for his first score. He added a 45-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter. He finished the game with 191 all-purpose yards.
• Kameron Brown — The former Midland Valley Mustang caught one pass for 8 yards in Charleston Southern’s victory against Hampton.
• Rashad Byrd — Byrd, a North Augusta native, made nine tackles and recovered a fumble in Georgia Southern’s victory.
• Colby Campbell — Campbell, a South Aiken grad, made eight tackles, one tackle for loss and a sack in Presbyterian’s victory.
• Devontae Davis — The Silver Bluff grad and South Carolina commit made a tackle in Georgia Military’s victory.
• Dre Dunbar — The former North Augusta Yellow Jacket caught one pass for 16 yards in Catawba’s overtime loss to Carson-Newman.
• Chad Gilchrist — The Johnston native made five tackles in S.C. State’s loss.
• Tarron Jackson — The Silver Bluff grad made three tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss in Coastal Carolina’s victory.
• Deshun Kitchings — Kitchings, a former South Aiken receiver, made a catch in Newberry’s victory against UNC Pembroke.
• Tre Lawson — The defensive lineman from North Augusta made one tackle in Mississippi Gulf Coast’s loss.
• Brandon Maddox — The former North Augusta player made nine tackles, two sacks and forced two fumbles in Pima Community College’s victory.
• Tyrece Nick — Nick, a former Strom Thurmond Rebel, went 5-for-16 passing for 90 yards. He also ran for 47 yards in S.C. State’s loss.
• Mannie Ogletree — The North Augusta grad made one tackle in Limestone’s loss.
• Chris Roberts — The former South Aiken running back ran the ball eight times for 22 yards in Mars Hill’s victory against Limestone.
• Bowen Smith — The South Aiken alum completed 11 of 23 passes for 219 yards and two touchdowns in Pikeville’s victory.
• Cederick Trottie — Trottie, a Silver Bluff product, saw action at punter in Benedict’s victory against Central State. Trottie punted twice and finished with a 33-yard average.
• R.J. Tyler — The former Wagener-Salley tight end caught one pass for 3 yards in Charlotte’s loss.
• Tyrek Williams — Former Strom Thrumond Rebel made four tackles and recovered a fumble in Georgia Military’s victory.
• Gyasi Yeldell — The Silver Bluff product made six tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks.