Related topics

Bluesman Luther Allison, whose stage ene

August 13, 1997

MADISON, Wis. (AP) _ Bluesman Luther Allison, whose stage energy and blistering guitar playing attracted three decades of rock ‘n’ roll fans, died Tuesday. He was 57.

Allison, who was diagnosed July 10 with lung cancer and brain tumors, died at University of Wisconsin Hospital.

He spent most of his career in Chicago playing with fellow blues artists Freddie King, Magic Sam and Otis Rush, according to Bruce Iglauer, president of Alligator Records & Artist Management, Allison’s record label.

Allison’s guitar playing drew national attention in concerts in 1969 and 1970 and lured rock fans to the blues.

Allison’s first recording, ``Love Me Mama,″ in 1969, is considered a blues classic. His most recent albums were ``Blue Streak″ and ``Reckless,″ which showcased his skills on slide as well as acoustic guitar.

He played with almost every major blues figure since the late 1960s, and stopped touring in the United States in the 1970s when blues took a back seat to disco and other types of music.

He moved to Paris in the 1980s where he became a popular performer in Europe. He resumed touring in the United States only after signing with Alligator in 1994.

Rex Barney

BALTIMORE (AP) _ Rex Barney, who pitched a no-hitter for the 1948 Brooklyn Dodgers and enjoyed widespread popularity as the Baltimore Orioles’ longtime public address announcer, was found dead at his home Tuesday. He was 72.

Barney, a right-hander from Omaha, Neb., pitched for the Dodgers in six seasons before retiring in 1950 at age 25. Few pitchers threw harder, but Barney’s problem was getting the ball over the plate. He finished with 410 walks and 336 strikeouts.

Barney was 35-31 with a 4.34 ERA in 155 career games. He was 0-2 in the World Series, losing games in both 1947 and 1949.

Although Barney’s playing career fell short of his expectations, he gained popularity after becoming the Orioles’ public address announcer in the 1970s. Fans would regularly peek into the press box at Camden Yards and ask for his autograph. He always complied.

Barney was best known for his ``Give that fan a contract!″ line, delivered whenever a fan did a nice job of fielding a ball in the stands. He also followed each announcement with a trademark ``Thank yoouuu!″

Peter Braestrup

ROCKPORT, Maine (AP) _ Peter Braestrup, who covered the Vietnam War for The Washington Post and The New York Times, died of a heart attack while vacationing on the Maine coast. He was 68.

Braestrup, who had been the Library of Congress’ senior editor and director of communications since 1989, died Sunday at the Penobscot Bay Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Since retiring from daily journalism in 1975, he participated on several panels that studied the media’s role on the battlefield. Before his journalism career, he had served as a Marine officer in Korea.

Braestrup worked for Time magazine as a contributing editor and roving reporter in the late 1950s, and later moved to the New York Herald Tribune.

In 1960, he joined the Washington bureau of The New York Times, then became a correspondent for the newspaper in Paris, in North Africa where he covered the Algerian revolution, and in Thailand, where he covered the fighting in Vietnam.

He was Saigon bureau chief for The Washington Post during 1968-69.

In addition to his wife, Sandra Newing, he is survived by his mother, a sister, two daughters, a son, two stepdaughters, two stepsons, seven grandchildren and eight stepgrandchildren.

Ellery H. Clark Jr.

BOSTON (AP) _ Ellery H. Clark Jr., a retired naval professor and author of baseball biographies, died Aug. 4. He was 87.

Clark was a professor of English and naval history at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and coached the track team there for many years.

He wrote three books on the Boston Red Sox, published between 1979 and 1982. He also penned biographies of Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Lefty Grove, Joe Cronin and Smokey Joe Wood.

Clark used his vast baseball memorabilia collection and player contacts as the basis for his books about the Red Sox: ``Red Sox Fever,″ ``Red Sox Forever″ and ``The 75th Anniversary History of the Boston Red Sox.″

Clark also won a gold medal in speed walking at the Senior Olympics in Springfield in 1995. His father, who won two gold medals in track in the 1896 Olympics, took him to his first Red Sox game in 1918, the last time the team won the World Series.

Nicholas J. Hoff

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) _ Nicholas J. Hoff, a professor emeritus of aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University who pioneered the study of aluminum fuselages in commercial jetliners, died Aug. 4. He was 91.

An aeronautical engineer, Hoff was among the first to examine the static and dynamic stability of the fragile aluminum skins of jets under the stresses of air resistance and heat.

Born in Hungary, Hoff studied engineering in Zurich and designed planes in Hungary before moving to Stanford in 1939 for graduate studies. He received a doctoral degree in 1942 and began teaching at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn.

In 1957, Stanford asked Hoff to return to create an independent department of aeronautical engineering, which he helped shape into one of the country’s top-ranked. He retired in 1971.

Steve Kraftcheck

SMITHFIELD, R.I. (AP) _ Steve Kraftcheck, the highest-scoring defenseman in the history of the American Hockey League, died Sunday. He was 68.

Kraftcheck became a professional hockey player in 1947, and played with the Boston Bruins, the New York Rangers and the Toronto Maple Leafs over four seasons in the National Hockey League.

He played 13 seasons for the American Hockey League, scoring a record-setting 453 points in 839 games. Kraftcheck was named to six AHL all-star teams.

He last played with the AHL’s Providence Reds before retiring from hockey in 1964.

Kraftcheck worked as a public safety officer at Bryant College before he retired.

John K. Wordell

HYANNIS, Mass. (AP) _ John K. Wordell, a former actor, composer, broadcaster, writer and Secret Service agent, died Thursday at age 92.

During World War II, Wordell was a Secret Service agent and intelligence officer in Guam and the South Pacific.

He had worked for 20th Century-Fox studios in Hollywood, for the CBS network, NBC in New York and radio stations WEEI, WBZ and WNAC.

He also was a ham radio operator who used the call name ``Dog Gone Daddy.″

Wordell is survived by four nephews and four nieces.

Update hourly