Guam governor asking court to pause dump closure
HAGATNA, Guam (AP) — Guam Gov. Eddie Calvo is asking a federal court to pause the process of closing a dump while it’s still unclear how much the closure will cost the territory.
Pacific Daily News reported Monday (http://goo.gl/R9EB3C ) that Calvo’s office filed the motion this month.
Chief Legal Counsel Sandra Miller said the administration is concerned that the receiver is going forward with procurement without giving estimates to the territory.
The Office of Public Accountability said last year that it would cost about $45 million to close the dump.
But solid waste receiver Gershman, Brickner & Bratton has said giving an estimate could affect the bidding process.
Receiver spokesman David Manning says bids for the closure of Ordot Dump are due this week, with the project to be awarded by early October.
The company told the court in June that debating costs could delay the closure process.
“The accuracy of the estimate will be conclusively shown when the bids are received, assuming the bid process is not compromised,” the company said.
On Friday, Lt. Gov. Ray Tenorio said he is concerned that the unknown cost will affect other obligation for the territorial government.
“Simply put, the receiver intends to saddle the government with the contracts potentially requiring tens of millions of dollars of additional funding, but the government has no idea what these contracts will costs and has no say in the design of the project with respect to minimizing cost,” Tenorio said.
Information from: Pacific Daily News: http://www.guampdn.com