Fire at Campbell University linked to welding mishap, officials say
Firefighters on Thursday extinguished a blaze on the campus of Campbell University after a welding accident ignited materials at a building under construction, authorities said.
Crews were called to the Harnett County university around 2 p.m. after flames were reported on campus.
Officials said no injuries were reported and the blaze had been contained by firefighters around 2:30 p.m., according to a social media post by the school.
Firefighters were seen on a ladder trying to extinguish the blaze, based on a video posted by university officials to their Twitter feed.
Officials said it appears that the blaze was linked to a welding accident.
According to a page on Campbell’s website, the new 100,000 square-foot building is the “the centerpiece” of the school’s master plan and is at the heart of a $35 million fundraising campaign.
“This venue will enhance the educational lives of students by blending the academic experience with social opportunities to make Campbell graduates well-rounded, confident, and capable leaders of society,” according to Campbell’s site.
The new building was slated to open in the fall, but it was not clear if the fire Thursday would delay the building’s debut.