Portland officials backtrack on homeless center move
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Portland officials are searching for another location for a proposed 200-bed homeless shelter that has received pushback from many residents.
WGME-TV reports Portland City Council’s Health and Human Services Committee announced Tuesday they would determine another option for the shelter. Officials had previously planned to build the $10 million center near the Barron Center campus.
The plan was criticized by residents who said the shelter could bring violence and drug use to the neighborhood.
City Manager Jon Jennings says officials will search out other locations and consider alternative models. Jennings says the shelter needs help from nonprofits. He hopes to give recommendations to the Health and Human Services Committee by mid-October.
Information from: WGME-TV, http://www.wgme.com