April 12, 2019

POCATELLO — Authorities have released the identity of the man found dead Tuesday night near a City Creek trail west of Pocatello.

The Bannock County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday identified the deceased man as Ariel Arellano, 22, of Pocatello.

Arellano was reported missing by his family on April 3, according to the Pocatello Police Department. Authorities are still not speculating on his cause of death.

A jogger spotted Arellano’s dead body just off the trail around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and dialed 911, authorities said.

Arellano’s body was recovered early Wednesday morning and Bannock County Coroner Ely Taysom said he intends to investigate the death. Taysom said no cause of death was apparent during his initial examination of Arellano’s body.

The body will be sent to Boise for an autopsy on Friday, Taysom said, adding that he could get the results back in as soon as 10 days or as long as six weeks. Taysom said he will release a cause and manner of death once he receives the autopsy reports.

Bannock County sheriff’s deputies couldn’t reach Arellano’s body until around 10 p.m. Tuesday because of the muddy conditions as well as the heavy rain and snow falling on the City Creek area.

Taysom said that by the time deputies reached Arellano’s body, it was covered by about 2 inches of snow.

The Sheriff’s Office said that the responding deputies’ vehicles got stuck in the mud on multiple occasions while trying to reach the body.

Bannock County Search and Rescue personnel were called in to use all-terrain vehicles to remove Arellano’s body from the City Creek trail system after the deputies had located the body, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The Sheriff’s Office reported that Arellano’s body had finally been removed from the City Creek trail system by Search and Rescue early Wednesday morning. The body was then transported to the morgue at Portneuf Medical Center to await transport to Boise.

The City Creek trail system, a popular recreation area in the mountains just west of Pocatello, was temporarily closed to all traffic while Arellano’s body was being recovered.