AP NEWS

Nevada to appeal judge’s decision not to block plutonium

February 4, 2019

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — Nevada’s attorney general is appealing a federal judge’s decision not to immediately block any future shipments of weapons-grade plutonium to a national security site north of Las Vegas.

Attorney General Aaron Ford filed Monday afternoon a notice of his intent to appeal to the San Francisco-based 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

A federal judge in Reno last week denied the state’s request for a temporary restraining order after the Energy Department revealed it already shipped one-half metric ton of the highly radioactive material from South Carolina to Nevada.

U.S. District Court Judge Miranda Du says she will allow court proceedings on a regular schedule in the case.

Ford said in a statement that his office will exhaust every legal avenue to oppose any future shipments to the state.

AP RADIO
Update hourly