Day in History: Many cases of influenza at Fort Snelling Hospital
1993 – 25 years ago
• After nearly two years of discussion, debate and delays, it appears the former University of Minnesota-Waseca campus may be converted to a federal prison.
• Tomorrow is the last chance for many longtime IBM Rochester employees to take a company buyout before their jobs disappear. Roughly 700 will go off the payroll by the end of March.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Olmsted County School Superintendent Forest Brandel set June 23, 1969, as the effective date of proposed consolidation of Rochester public schools and 28 grade school districts surrounding the city.
• Bonnie Johnson and Frank Loosbrock of West Concord were crowned at homecoming ceremonies preceding the football game with Byron.
• Dallas Finseth and Barbara Poppe reigned as homecoming king and queen at the Preston High School homecoming festivities.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Wanted: Nurse aides and dietitian girls, permanent, good working conditions- apply in person at Colonial Hospital.
• Wanted: Waitress at Worrall hospital – 6 days a week. Good wages and meals – apply in person.
1918 – 100 years ago
• There have been more victims of influenza in the Twin Cities. A total of 265 cases are reported at the Army hospital at Fort Snelling. The state board of health has issued an order to report all cases.
• The junior class of Rochester High School has elected the following offices for the school year. They are: President, Richard Qvale; Vice President, Catherine Sherman; Secretary, Alice Holt; Treasurer, Mertie Hendricks; Cheerleader, Cyril Fox.
From news services
Ten years ago: On Wall Street, the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 777 points after the House defeated, 228-205, a $700 billion emergency rescue for the nation’s financial system, leaving both parties and the Bush administration scrambling to pick up the pieces.
Five years ago: NASA’s newest delivery service, Orbital Sciences Corp.’s unmanned cargo spacecraft Cygnus, made its first shipment to the International Space Station. Some four dozen people were shot to death at an agricultural college in Gujba, Nigeria, in an attack blamed on Boko Haram. A car bomb tore through a market in Peshawar, Pakistan, killing at least 41 people. On the last day of the season, Miami’s Henderson Alvarez pitched one of baseball’s most bizarre no-hitters. Alvarez celebrated in the on-deck circle when the Marlins scored on a two-out wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the Detroit Tigers 1-0.
One year ago: Tom Price resigned as President Donald Trump’s secretary of Health and Human Services amid investigations into his use of costly charter flights for official travel at taxpayer expense. The United States warned Americans to stay away from Cuba, and ordered home more than half of the American diplomatic corps there; the administration began referring to the mysterious health ailments affecting Americans there as “attacks” rather than “incidents” but acknowledged that neither Cuban nor US investigators could figure out who or what was responsible. San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz accused the Trump administration of “killing us with the inefficiency” after Hurricane Maria.
Today’s birthdays: Conductor Richard Bonynge is 88. Writer-director Robert Benton is 86. Singer Jerry Lee Lewis is 83. Soul-blues-gospel singer Sherman Holmes is 79. Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., is 76. Actor Ian McShane is 76. Jazz musician Jean-Luc Ponty is 76. Nobel Peace laureate Lech Walesa is 75. Television-film composer Mike Post is 74. Actress Patricia Hodge is 72. TV personality Bryant Gumbel is 70. Rock singer-musician Mark Farner is 70. Rock singer-musician Mike Pinera is 70. Country singer Alvin Crow is 68. Actor Drake Hogestyn is 65. Olympic gold medal runner Sebastian Coe is 62. Singer Suzzy Roche (The Roches) is 62. Comedian-actor Andrew “Dice” Clay is 61. Rock singer John Payne (Asia) is 60. Actor Roger Bart is 56. Singer-musician Les Claypool is 55. Actress Jill Whelan is 52. Actor Ben Miles is 52. Actor Luke Goss is 50. Rock musician Brad Smith (Blind Melon) is 50. Actress Erika Eleniak is 49. Rhythm-and-blues singer Devante Swing (Jodeci) is 49. Country singer Brad Cotter (TV: “Nashville Star”) is 48. Actress Emily Lloyd is 48. Actress Natasha Gregson Wagner is 48. Actress Rachel Cronin is 47. Country musician Danick Dupelle (Emerson Drive) is 45. Actor Alexis Cruz is 44. Actor Zachary Levi is 38. Actress Chrissy Metz (TV: “This Is Us”) is 38. Actress Kelly McCreary (TV: “Grey’s Anatomy”) is 37. Country singer Katie McNeill (3 of Hearts) is 36. Rock musician Josh Farro is 31. Actor Doug Brochu is 28. Singer Phillip Phillips is 28. Actress Clara Mamet is 24.