Fire destroys car in Shippan, home saved
STAMFORD-Firefighters were quickly able to put out a car fire before it threatened a Shippan point home on Tuesday afternoon.
At 4:30 p.m., firefighters were called to Cresthill Place on a report of a car on fire right next to a home.
Deputy Chief Patrick Tripodi said a young man was heading home to Cresthill Place when he began smelling smoke inside the 1994 sedan he was driving. When he pulled up to his house, it caught fire.
Tripodi said the vehicle was about 15 feet away from the home, but other than slightly singing the exterior the house it was not harmed in the blaze that put out a plume of smoke that could be seen for miles.
Tripodi said firefighters were able to get their quickly enough to keep the fire from spreading.
As to the cause of the blaze, Tripodi said it could have been an electrical short or possibly a gasoline leak that touched off the 24-year-old car. No one was injured in the blaze.