Trial set to begin in McDonald’s drive-thru slaying
BEDFORD, Ind. (AP) — The trial of a southern Indiana man charged with killing another man in a McDonald’s drive-thru is set to begin.
The Bloomington Herald Times reports that jury selection will start Tuesday, with opening statements expected Friday.
Court records have been sealed in the case. But an attorney for 23-year-old Evan Schaffer previously said he acted in self-defense when he shot 25-year-old Justin Lampkins, of Bloomington.
Lawrence County Chief Public Defender David Shircliff says the former Marine grabbed Schaffer’s throat and was about to hit him with a weapon before Schaffer shot him outside the Bedford restaurant.
Police say Schaffer fled the scene but was arrested a short while later.
The Orleans man is also is charged with battery and carrying a handgun without a license.
Information from: The Herald Times, http://www.heraldtimesonline.com