Related topics

Northampton fire started by child with lighter

July 24, 2013

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) — Fire investigators say a child playing with a cigarette lighter started a blaze at a Northampton apartment complex that displaced about 30 residents.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette (http://bit.ly/1435I9R ) reports that the state Fire Marshal’s office determined that Monday’s blaze at Meadowbrook Apartments started in a first-floor bedroom of one unit.

The fire, which extended to the second floor as fire crews arrived, is estimated to have caused more than $500,000 in damages to 12 apartments. No residents or firefighters were seriously injured but tenants said at least four pets were lost.

The Pioneer Valley chapter of the American Red Cross was aiding displaced residents and said Meadowbrook management was housing displaced families at an area hotel.


Information from: Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, Mass.), http://www.gazettenet.com

Update hourly