2 men convicted in 2013 slaying of disc jockey, activist
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. (AP) — Two men have been convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy in the shooting death of a popular disc jockey in a drive-by shooting outside a northeastern Pennsylvania bar five years ago.
Jurors in Luzerne County deliberated for a little over an hour before convicting 29-year-old Roberto Battle and 37-year-old David Nealy, who now face life in prison without possibility of parole.
Authorities said Michael Onley, who performed as DJ Mo and had rallied against gun violence, was killed after someone opened fire from a car outside Wilkes-Barre’s now-closed Outsiders Bar in October 2013.
Authorities said Battle had been kicked out of the bar earlier. Nealy testified Friday against the advice of his attorney that he wasn’t aware his co-defendant would open fire. Battle’s attorney pointed the finger at another man.