Day in History: Mrs. Charles H. Mayo dies
1993 – 25 years ago
• Rochester Royals retiring manager Jeff Bartholomew will be honored prior to the game against Winona at Mayo Field.
• Earl DeBates, who headed up the Stewartville Tigers’ football program from 1980-88, has been named to replace David Thompson. For the last three seasons DeBates has been an assistant to Thompson, who is now leaving to accept a job in Farmington.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The Swedish Sunshine Singers will be playing at The Salvation Army Citadel. They formed in Sweden in 1960 and travel as singing evangelists.
• Minnesota’s Poor People’s Campaign leaders revealed plans to from an African-American owned and operated bus company to provide long distance and local bus charter service.
• Patricia Towey, a registered nurse from Rochester, is currently serving in Volunteer in Service to America (VISTA) in a poverty area of High Point, N.C.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Mrs. Charles H. Mayo, formerly Edith Graham and wife of the late Dr. Mayo to whom she was married nearly half a century, died in St. Marys Hospital. Mrs. Mayo has been ill since mid-April. She was 72 years old. She was born in Kalmar Township February 12, 1871, and always resided in and near Rochester. She graduated as a nurse from Women’s Hospital in Chicago in 1889 and married Dr. Charles H. Mayo on April 5, 1893. Her life was a busy one always held in high regard by the nursing profession and a mother of eight of her own children, and an adopted daughter and foster son.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Mrs. C. H. Mayo and Mrs. Henry S. Plummer provided lemonade and lunches for all the soldiers passing through Rochester last evening, as well as for the home boys.
• Rochester people are warned to be on the lookout for a forger who is working in this section of the state. He fleeced a number of people in Red Wing.
From news services
Ten years ago: A gunman went on a rampage at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, killing two people and wounding six others. (Jim D. Adkisson later pleaded guilty to murder and attempted murder and was sentenced to life in prison without parole.) Two bombs targeting civilians at a packed square in Istanbul, Turkey, killed 17 people. Iran hanged 29 people convicted of murder, drug trafficking and other crimes. Carlos Sastre of Spain won the Tour de France in one of the closest finishes in the 105-year-old race.
Five years ago: Security forces and armed men clashed with supporters of Egypt’s ousted president, Mohammed Morsi, killing at least 80 people. More than a thousand inmates escaped a prison in Libya as protesters stormed political party offices across the country. Former Louisiana congresswoman Lindy Boggs, 97, died in Chevy Chase, Maryland.
One year ago: New White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, in an interview published by The New Yorker, attacked chief of staff Reince Priebus and other White House officials in sometimes profane terms. (A day later, President Donald Trump announced that Priebus was being replaced by John Kelly. Scaramucci himself was ousted on July 31.) The Boy Scouts’ chief executive apologized to those offended by the aggressive political rhetoric in President Donald Trump’s recent speech to the Scouts’ national jamboree. As stock in Amazon hit an all-time high, CEO Jeff Bezos briefly became the world’s richest man; Microsoft founder Bill Gates reclaimed the lead by afternoon as Amazon stock fell nearly 1 percent for the day.
Today’s birthdays: TV producer Norman Lear is 96. Sportscaster Irv Cross is 79. Actor John Pleshette is 76. Actress-director Betty Thomas is 71. Olympic gold medal figure skater Peggy Fleming is 70. Singer Maureen McGovern is 69. Actress Janet Eilber is 67. Rock musician Tris Imboden (Chicago) is 67. Actress Roxanne Hart is 64. Country musician Duncan Cameron is 62. Comedian-actress-writer Carol Leifer is 62. Comedian Bill Engvall is 61. Jazz singer Karrin Allyson is 56. Country singer Stacy Dean Campbell is 51. Rock singer Juliana Hatfield is 51. Actor Julian McMahon is 50. Actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is 48. Comedian Maya Rudolph is 46. Rock musician Abe Cunningham is 45. Singer-songwriter Pete Yorn is 44. Former MLB All-Star Alex Rodriguez is 43. Actor Seamus Dever is 42. Actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers is 41. Actress/comedian Heidi Gardner is 35. Actor Blair Redford is 35. Actress Taylor Schilling is 34. Singer Cheyenne Kimball is 28. Golfer Jordan Spieth is 25. Actress Alyvia Alyn Lind is 11.