AP NEWS

Reckless homicide guilty plea entered in Nov. 2017 shooting death

October 2, 2018

A Fort Wayne man admitted his involvement Monday in a November 2017 shooting death.

Nickolaus F. McKinley, 24, pleaded guilty in Allen Superior Court to reckless homicide in the Nov. 7, 2017, death of Javon Sims, 22.

McKinley faces one to six years in prison when he is sentenced Oct. 26. A charge of using a gun in the commission of a crime was dropped by prosecutors.

McKinley and members of Sims’ family told police McKinley was a friend of Sims’ and had been at Sims’ house in the 2900 block of Smith Street the night Sims was killed. The house was shot at in at least two drive-by shootings in the hours before he died, court records said.

McKinley told police he was about to leave Sims’ house when he decided to have one last cigarette on the porch. He was armed when he saw someone on the side of the house with a hooded sweatshirt on. McKinley told police he thought someone was going to shoot him and didn’t realize it was Sims.

When police arrived, Sims was alive, but according to court documents, did not tell police who shot him.

Sims died at a hospital. Later, McKinley said the shooting was an accident.

jchapman@jg.net

AP RADIO
Update hourly