Day in History: Buildings named for junior college educators
1993 – 25 years ago
• Olmsted County’s population will be larger and grayer in the year 2020 according to a report released by the Minnesota Office of Planning. The report indicates that the county’s 60 and older residents will increase from 13 percent to 20 percent by 2020.
• Louis Gerstner, IBM chairman and chief executive officer, will be in Rochester today to speak at a technological conference on the AS-400. A mid-range computer designed and manufactured by the company.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Three major new programs are being added to the Rochester State Junior College curriculum. They are a program to train registered nurses, an aviation program and a marketing program.
• The first three buildings on the new Rochester State Junior College are named in honor of a former dean and two former instructors. Goddard Library honors Roy Goddard, dean of the college from 1925-1953. Science and technology classes will be held in Singley Hall, honoring the late Charles Singley, popular chemistry instructor from 1924 to 1960. Endicott Hall is named for Alice Endicott, who was a zoology instructor for 38 years.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The annual reunion dinner of Company D of the 136th Infantry will be held in the Mayo Civic auditorium. Invitations have been sent out to 100 members of the veterans of World War I.
• The National War Fund movie short, “The Last Will and Testament of Tom Smith,” starring Lionel Barrymore, Walter Brennan and George Reeves will be shown at the Chateau and Lawler theaters. The short film is the story of an American aviator, captured by the Japanese and the last 20 minutes on earth of the pilot.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Owning to the shortage of help, the Conley Camera Factory is employing much older men than it has in the past. A recent hire was 69 years old.
• Harold Gentling, a Rochester boy, is now a second lieutenant in the United States Army. Gentling’s success is another example of what is being accomplished by the young men of Rochester.
From news services
Ten years ago: South African President Thabo Mbeki announced his resignation. “Mad Men” became the first basic-cable show to win the top series Emmy; “30 Rock” and its stars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin won comedy awards. The United States took back the Ryder Cup with a 16 1/2-11 1/2 victory over Europe. Baseball said farewell to the original Yankee Stadium as the Bronx Bombers defeated the Baltimore Orioles 7-3.
Five years ago: Days after mass shootings in Washington and Chicago, President Barack Obama urged the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation to help push stalled legislation out of Congress so dangerous people wouldn’t get their hands on guns. Islamic militants attacked an upscale shopping center in Nairobi, killing at least 67 people in the deadliest terrorist attack in Kenya in 15 years. An Afghan wearing a security forces uniform turned his weapon against U.S. troops, killing three in eastern Afghanistan.
One year ago: Millions on Puerto Rico faced the prospect of weeks or months without power in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. President Donald Trump and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe met on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly to discuss the ongoing crisis involving North Korea. Facebook said it would provide congressional investigators with the contents of 3,000 ads that had been bought by a Russian agency; it had already released the ads to federal authorities investigating Russian interference in the U.S. presidential election.
Today’s birthdays: Author-comedian Fannie Flagg is 77. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer is 75. Former Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear is 74. Musician Don Felder is 71. Author Stephen King is 71. Basketball Hall of Famer Artis Gilmore is 69. Actor-comedian Bill Murray is 68. Hall of Fame jockey Eddie Delahoussaye is 67. Former Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd is 61. Movie producer-writer Ethan Coen is 61. Actor-comedian Dave Coulier is 59. Actor David James Elliott is 58. Actress Serena Scott-Thomas is 57. Actress Nancy Travis is 57. Actor Rob Morrow is 56. Actor Angus Macfadyen is 55. Retired MLB All-Star Cecil Fielder is 55. Actress Cheryl Hines is 53. Country singer Faith Hill is 51. Rock musician Tyler Stewart (Barenaked Ladies) is 51. Country singer Ronna Reeves is 50. Actress-talk show host Ricki Lake is 50. Rapper Dave (De La Soul) is 50. Actor Rob Benedict is 48. Actor James Lesure is 47. Actor Alfonso Ribeiro is 47. Actor Luke Wilson is 47. Actor Paulo Costanzo is 40. Actor Bradford Anderson is 39. Actress Autumn Reeser is 38. TV personality Nicole Richie is 37. Actress Maggie Grace is 35. Actor Joseph Mazzello is 35. Actress Ahna O’Reilly is 34. Rapper Wale is 34. Actor Ryan Guzman is 31. Actors Lorenzo and Nikolas Brino are 20.