Ohio Chemistry Lab Accident Injures Eight
HUDSON, Ohio (AP) _ A fire in a private high school’s chemistry lab injured eight people, and two remained in serious condition Tuesday.
Three students, the teacher and the teacher’s son were taken to Akron Children’s Hospital, which has a burn unit, officials said.
Three other students were treated at Western Reserve Academy’s health center after the accident Monday.
The flash fire occurred during a standard experiment to show how methanol, a clear, flammable liquid, changes color when heated, said Christopher Burner, dean of faculty.
The fire was being investigated.
Teacher Julie Pratt was in good condition Tuesday at the hospital, and a 15-year-old student was in fair condition.
Pratt’s 11-year-old son, who was visiting the classroom, and another 15-year-old student remained in serious condition. Another student was treated at the hospital and released.
Students ``were instrumental in helping each other douse the flames,″ said John Haile, dean of academics. ``They also stopped, dropped and rolled.″
Western Reserve Academy has 401 students, including 273 who live on the campus about 30 miles southeast of Cleveland.