AP NEWS

Investigators point to operator in Boston subway derailment

June 10, 2019

BOSTON (AP) — A transit official says a subway derailment that sent nine people to the hospital over the weekend in Boston appears to have been “operator-related.”

The deputy general manager of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Jeff Gonneville, said Monday investigators had ruled out mechanical issues involving either the vehicle or the tracks as a cause.

Gonneville provided a brief update on Saturday’s derailment inside a tunnel near Kenmore Square to the MBTA’s Fiscal and Management Control Board. He suggested that investigators believe the operator of the vehicle was at fault but did not elaborate and said the investigation was continuing.

T officials previously said they had interviewed the operator, who has not been identified.

Gonneville said there were 11 reported injuries. Nine people were taken to hospitals with non-life threatening injuries.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.