Chemical spill at Tecumseh prison causes small fire
No one was injured after a chemical spill ignited a fire in a chemical closet in the Tecumseh State Correctional Institution’s wood shop Tuesday, a Nebraska Department of Correctional Services spokeswoman said.
The chemical, which wasn’t identified in a news release, spilled on the floor and rags meant to clean up the spill spontaneously combusted, Laura Strimple said.
Everyone inside the wood shop evacuated because of the flames, but ceiling sprinklers put out the fire. The Johnson County Volunteer Fire Department also responded, Strimple said.
The Nebraska State Fire Marshal’s Agency will investigate further.