Gov. Baker defends decision not to order new driving ban
BOSTON (AP) — Gov. Charlie Baker is defending his decision not to order a driving ban during Monday’s storm after banning cars from the roads during last week’s blizzard.
Baker said before ordering the ban last week, he spoke with emergency management and transportation officials, the state police, the National Guard and the National Weather Service.
He said they all endorsed a driving ban.
Baker said he spoke to the same group before and during Monday’s storm. They said that while the storm was big, it’s wasn’t that same kind of historic storm that dumped up to three feet of snow in some Massachusetts communities.
Baker said that while he passed on a driving ban, he encouraged people to use public transportation.
Baker said he made both decisions based on the best information he received from professionals.