TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) _ The Bosnian government is trying two Bosnian Serb soldiers in the brutal wartime expulsion of Muslims from their homes, a newspaper reported Saturday.

Teso Tesic and Dusan Borovic are charged with detaining, killing and expelling Muslim civilians from Vlasenica and surrounding northeastern Bosnian villages in the summer of 1992, according to the Dnevni Avaz daily.

Both were arrested in the Bosnian capital of Sarajevo in January.

Tesic, 27, made a confession after his arrest, but he recanted on the opening day of his trial Friday, saying he had been forced to give a statement that included crimes he had not witnessed, the newspaper reported.

Tesic said he had been drafted into the Bosnian Serb army in May 1992 and until October of that year had worked in a food warehouse in Vlasenica.

Court officials could not be reached for comment Saturday. The trial for Borovic, 43, begins Wednesday, the paper said.

Vlasenica is 29 miles southeast of Tuzla, a city in the Muslim-Croat half of Bosnia that is closest to the sites of some of the worst atrocities committed by Serbs during the Bosnian war.

The first such trial in Tuzla, against 44-year-old Drago Ilic, started on Nov. 18. Ilic is accused of torturing, beating and starving inmates at a Serb prison camp at Batkovic near the northeastern Serb town of Bijeljina, where he was deputy camp commander.

Neither Tesic, Borovic nor Ilic have been indicted by the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands.

In 1993, while the war was still raging, the Bosnian government tried Bosnian Serb soldiers Borislav Herak and Dragan Damjanovic in Sarajevo for war crimes. Both were found guilty and sentenced: Herak got life in prison and Damjanovic 10 years.