AP NEWS

Man hospitalized after being trapped in apartment fire near Campbell University

April 5, 2019

A man was hospitalized after being rescued from an apartment fire in Buies Creek on Friday morning.

First responders learned about the fire 12:40 a.m. when a neighbor called about smoke visible from a first-floor unit at 20 Burt Street.

The man was trapped and calling out for help, the Buies Creek Fire Department said. A person tried to made several attempts to rescue the man, but the fire was too intense, officials said.

The man was unconscious when he was rescued, but he was breathing.

He was taken to WakeMed. His condition was not known.

Four apartment units were damaged by fire, smoke and water. Six people had to leave their homes. The Red Cross is giving them a place to stay.

The apartment complex is down the road from Campbell University. Its residents are a mix of students and non-students.