Related topics

Weber State 84, No. 20 Utah 72

December 2, 1999

OGDEN, Utah (AP) _ Eddie Gill scored a career-high 25 points and Harold ``The Show″ Arceneaux, scoreless in the first half, added 15 as Weber State beat No. 20 Utah 84-72 on Wednesday night.

It was a tale of two halves for Weber State (3-1) and Arceneaux, who spent most of the first 20 minutes on the bench with two fouls.

Weber State coach Joe Cravens, an assistant to Rick Majerus at Utah in 1990, beat his old boss as the Wildcats extended their homecourt winning streak to 26 games and ended a four-game losing streak to the Utes (2-2).

Weber State trailed 31-25 at halftime but came out of the locker room determined. Arceneaux drove for a basket 18 seconds into the second half and from that moment the Wildcats and their excited fans continued to build momentum.

Weber State opened the half with a 14-6 run and took the lead for good at 38-37 on a 3-pointer by Shawn Moore with 16:43 to play.

Alex Jensen led Utah with 15 points, but the Utes hurt themselves with 17 turnovers and allowed Weber State’s athleticism to make it a fullcourt game in the second half.

Gill, a speedy point guard, played 40 minutes and didn’t disappoint the 10 NBA scouts who attended. Fans chanted ``Eddie, Eddie, Eddie″ after each of his baskets, but he also led the Wildcats with 10 rebounds and eight assists.

When Ivan Gatto got free for a dunk and was fouled by Jeremy Killion with 4:16 remaining, the crowd of 10,869 went wild. Gatto, who scored 14 points, made the ensuing free throw and the Wildcats led 70-58.

It was even louder two minutes later when Gill lofted a fast-break pass from halfcourt for Arceneaux, who slid past a defender and flipped a reverse layup into the basket to make it 76-60.

Arceneaux, who shot 1-for-13 in a season-opening loss at Alabama, was hesitant with the ball in the first half but found his stroke in the second. He was 7-of-11 from the floor after missing his only shot of the first half.

The Wildcats made six 3-pointers in the second half and limited themselves to nine turnovers. Weber State shot 23 percent (7-of-30) before the break and 72 percent (21-of-29) in the second half.

Utah couldn’t seem to buy a basket down the stretch. Tony Harvey appeared to score when he drove with 6:06 to play but he was called for an offensive foul and the play brought Majerus onto the court to protest.

After that, the Utes went scoreless for a stretch of almost three minutes and the Wildcats used it to extend a 65-58 lead.

Stephan Bachmann, who scored seven straight points in one of Weber State’s second-half spurts, scored 14 points.

Nate Althoff and Trent Whiting each had 11 points for Utah.

Update hourly