Man Rescues Woman From Fire; Dies Trying to Save Her Dog
MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) _ A 63-year-old man rescued a handicapped elderly woman from her burning apartment, then died trying to save her dog, officials said Thursday.
Norman Bilodeau quickly got Doris Williams, 83, out of the second-floor apartment, but went back inside to try to rescue her dog and retrieve some of her belongings, police said.
He was overcome by smoke and died. The dog also died.
″He was a hero, and made the fatal mistake of re-entering a fire building. We tell people time and time and time again not to do that,″ said fire department Lt. Michael Clayton.
A discarded cigarette started the fire shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday, Clayton said. Bilodeau, a non-smoker, was visiting Williams, who smoked. She wasn’t hurt in the blaze, he said.