AP NEWS

Cause of Scottsbluff fire attributed to space heater

November 19, 2018

SCOTTSBLUFF — The source of a fire at a Scottsbluff home has been traced to a space heater.

The Scottsbluff Fire Department responded to a fire at 1026 16th Avenue on the after noon of Nov. 18, quickly putting it out.

Scottsbluff Fire Marshall Anthony Murphy said fire crews were called out to the fire around 1:30 p.m. when a bystander reported light smoke in area.

“Upon their arrival,” he said, “they figured out which structure it was coming from.”

Upon entering, the firefighters found the fire and began extinguishing it.

“They extinguished the fire within the first five minutes of being on scene,” Murphy said.

The trailer home was empty at the time.

Murphy said the fire originated in the trailer’s living room.

“A space heater with an extension cord was in use and the loose connection at the wall outlet overheated and started the paneling on fire which spread to nearby furniture,” he said.

The fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout the building, and four dogs died of smoke inhalation.

In addition to the Scottsbluff Fire Department, the Gering Fire Department and Scottsbluff Police Department were also on scene. Murphy said the Red Cross and Firefighter Ministry were on hand to assist the family.

Carissa Smith of Firefighter Ministry said that the family has been assisted with temporary board and will receive assistance for housing assistance once they have located another place to live.

AP RADIO
Update hourly