Related topics

Two Boys Burned While Making Homemade Napalm

August 8, 1996

NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) _ Two boys were burned in an explosion while trying to mix a batch of napalm on the kitchen stove from a recipe they found on the Internet.

Michael Caponigro, 14, and Scott Landry, 11, were mixing gasoline with sulfur shavings at Caponigro’s home Tuesday when it blew up in their faces.

The mixture was described on the Internet _ incorrectly _ as a recipe for napalm, investigators said.

Landry was treated at a hospital and released. Caponigo was in fair condition Thursday with burns over as much 15 percent of his body.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott Erickson said the gasoline vapors were ignited by the heating element of the electric stove.

The Internet has thousands of often-anonymous postings by self-described anarchists. Among them are instructions for making bombs.

Landry’s parents said they have pulled the plug on their Internet connection.

Update hourly