Large fight breaks out on Goodtime III as popular tourist ship docked in downtown Cleveland

August 8, 2018

Large fight breaks out on Goodtime III as popular tourist ship docked in downtown Cleveland

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A large fight broke out on the Goodtime III cruise boat while the popular tourist ship docked in downtown Cleveland.

A 25-year-old Garfield Heights man was arrested in connection with the fight, but formal charges have not been filed in the case.

The fight happened about 11:45 p.m. Friday as the ship was docking off the East 9th Street Pier after the cruise’s Dance Party night, according to police and the Goodtime III’s owner, Rick Fryan.

Several off-duty Cuyahoga County sheriff’s deputies working security on the boat, along with witnesses, gave different accounts of what led to the fight. Cleveland police detectives are investigating, according to police reports.

Some deputies told police that the 25-year-old man started the fight and some said they he didn’t. The 25-year-old man told police he saw a man who attacked him years ago, confronted him just before four or five men jumped him, police reports say.

Several Goodtime III employees and a sheriff’s deputy, however, told police that the man started the fight that broke out on the second deck of the ship.

A security guard employed by the Goodtime III who was not an off-duty member of law enforcement stepped into break up the fight along with the deputies.

He said he stepped in between the 25-year-old man and another man, and the 25-year-old punched him in the face.

The security guard went to Fairview Hospital, where he got two stitches to repair a cut above his eye, police reports say.

A deputy initially told the 25-year-old man he could leave, but another deputy told a Cleveland police officer to arrest the man on assault charges, police reports say.

The officer stopped the man and tried to arrest him, but the man struggled with officers and deputies, police reports say. An officer told Kilgore if he didn’t allow the officers to put handcuffs on him, the officers would use their stun gun.

The officers then forced the man to the ground and arrested him. He was booked into the Cuyahoga County Jail and released on Monday.

Fryan said he employees several off-duty police officers or deputies on his boat and that he planned to hire more after the fight.

“We don’t want fights on the boat,” Fryan said. “The Goodtime is supposed to be a fun experience. Everyone usually just has a good time and we want to keep it that way.”

To comment on this story, visit Wednesday’s crime and courts comments page.


Update hourly