Related topics

Family of boy shot dead by Ohio officer files suit

December 5, 2014

CLEVELAND (AP) — The family of a 12-year-old who had a pellet gun when he was shot by a Cleveland police officer filed a wrongful death lawsuit Friday, saying two officers acted recklessly when they confronted the boy in a terrifying manner and fired within seconds.

The federal lawsuit filed against the city and the two officers also said they waited four minutes before anyone provided medical help to Tamir Rice.

The shooting has sparked protests across Cleveland and is one of a number of recent deaths involving police across the United States that have drawn public outrage.

Surveillance video released by police shows Tamir being shot within two seconds of a patrol car stopping beside him at a park on Nov. 22. It shows the boy reaching in his waistband for what police later discovered was an airsoft gun, which shoots nonlethal plastic projectiles. He died the next day.

Police were responding to an emergency call about a gun at a playground.

Police have said officer Tim Loehmann believed the boy had a real firearm. The officer’s father has said his son had no other choice. A grand jury will consider whether charges are merited.

“Young boys playing with replica guns are commonplace in America and police are expected to approach them safely if an investigation is warranted, not shoot them dead within two seconds,” said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court.

A spokesman for the city declined to comment on the lawsuit. Court documents did not list the name of Loehmann’s attorney.

On Thursday, the U.S. Justice Department released findings from a nearly two-year investigation of Cleveland police, which found its officers use excessive and unnecessary force far too often.

The report did not look into Tamir’s death, but U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, while announcing the report’s findings, said that the deaths of young blacks, including in New York City and Ferguson, Missouri, have raised urgent national questions about the sense of trust between police and communities.

Loehmann joined Cleveland police in March after spending six months in 2012 with the police department in suburban Independence.

The lawsuit noted that personnel files released earlier this week showed that police supervisors in Independence decided Loehmann lacked the maturity needed to work in their department. Loehmann resigned in December 2012 after meeting with his supervisors about their concerns.


Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

Update hourly