Univision Deportes Rebranding as ‘TUDN’, the Destination for Soccer’s Most Passionate Fans
MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 7, 2019--Univision Communications Inc., the leading Hispanic media company in the U.S., today raises the bar for Spanish-language sports media with the evolution of its Univision Deportes multi-platform sports brand and leading cable network into ’ TUDN ’. With this bold new identity, the most fervent soccer fanáticos on the planet will know: Vivimos TU Pasion. We live YOUR passion.
Under the TUDN brand (“Your Sports Network” in English), Univision will continue to deliver more live soccer than any other U.S. media company while offering a richer and more engaging experience through new world-class programming, all-star talent and enhanced production capabilities.
The dynamic sports media brand will debut this summer, with the rebranding of Univision’s No. 1 Spanish-language sports network as the flagship TUDN channel. The TUDN brand and channel will debut in Mexico simultaneously as part of a collaboration between the sports divisions of Univision and Grupo Televisa. The effort will elevate and expand coverage for audiences in both the U.S. and Mexico by bringing together the best programming and talent from each nation.
“Univision has long been the industry leader in high-quality live soccer, and this collaboration represents another major step forward,” said Univision Chief Executive Officer Vince Sadusky. “Simply put, we are delivering on our viewers’ passion for soccer by giving them more of the content they love through an enhanced television and digital experience.”
“This year, Univision will account for more than half of all soccer viewership – and more than 80% in primetime,” said Univision President of Sports Juan Carlos Rodriguez. “Our flagship sports network regularly delivers greater viewership than English-language competitors with greater distribution, exemplifying the passion our community has for the beautiful game. Under this new powerhouse brand, we are excited to grow our leadership and super-serve soccer fanáticos with the highest-quality programming and insight from an A-List roster of experts.”
Univision’s portfolio of networks – TUDN, Univision, UniMás and Galavisión – will continue to deliver an unmatched selection of live soccer in the U.S., including the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, Euro 2020, Liga MX, MLS, the U.S. and Mexican men’s and women’s national teams, UEFA Champions League and more.
In addition to television, the TUDN brand will reach sports fans through the TUDN Radio Network, the TUDN mobile app and TUDN.com. Visitors to the website and app will find Spanish-language news, analysis, scores, highlights and schedules, as well as live streaming capabilities for authenticated TUDN subscribers.
Distributors to Offer Even More Soccer
With the launch of TUDN, Univision will introduce a suite of additional live soccer offerings later this year in conjunction with its distribution partners at no additional cost to viewers. These brand extensions will maximize the value of Univision’s robust live rights portfolio, provide incremental value to distribution partners and allow soccer enthusiasts to further immerse themselves in the beautiful game.
- TUDNxtra: Subscribers to participating pay-TV services in the U.S. will now have easy, live access to all of TUDN’s exclusive soccer matches through TUDNxtra. This package will offer soccer fans a wealth of additional top-flight competition throughout the year, with hundreds of exclusive matches from UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, the UEFA European Qualifiers and Liga MX, the most-watched soccer league in the U.S.
- Zona Futbol: With matches taking place between top clubs all over Europe, it’s virtually impossible for soccer fans to catch every goal or big play in real-time on a UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League match day. That’s where Zona Futbol comes in. This new “whip-around” show offers the ultimate soccer viewing experience to pay-TV subscribers in the U.S., delivering the best action from concurrent Group Stage matches as it happens. Top TUDN talent will guide viewers from game to game across the continent with key context and expert analysis.
Subscribers to TUDN through participating pay-TV services will have access to this wealth of content through the TUDN app on a wide range of devices, as well as through their set-top box, at no additional charge. One major pay-TV provider has already signed on to carry both TUDNxtra and Zona Futbol, with more agreements expected in the coming months. Both services are slated to launch at the start of the 2019-2020 UEFA Champions League season in September.
TUDN to Introduce New Content, Talent
Building on the success of Univision’s No. 1 Spanish-language sports network, the flagship TUDN network will continue to present already-popular content and personalities while also introducing U.S. audiences to new top-tier programming and talent.
New content offerings will include:
- Acción (Sundays, 4:00pm ET): The top plays and highlights of the week, packed into one hour. A fast-paced highlights-only show that covers all sports and summarizes the week’s can’t-miss action.
- +Deporte (Monday through Friday, 3:00pm ET; Sundays, 11:00am ET): A fresh, real-time look at the state of sports from the U.S., Mexico and around the world, including soccer, NFL, NBA and MLB; enriched with live reporting from training grounds as teams prepare for their next games.
- La Jugada (Sundays, 12:00am ET): The best weekend sports magazine on television. The place to relive the most important events and news of the weekend, mixed with interviews, in-depth reports and profiles from around the world of sports. Includes sections dedicated to key sports, including soccer, NFL, MLB, NBA and more.
- @TUTribuna (Monday through Friday, 9:00pm ET): The sports social media show where fans are part of the action. Top TUDN talent examine the latest social media trends and interact with sports personalities and fans through different platforms.
- Versus (Mondays, 10:00pm ET): In-depth discussion that goes beyond the headlines. An agenda-setting sports editorial program that takes fans deeper, and the place where newsmakers come to share their perspectives.
Returning fan favorites include República Deportiva, Contacto Deportivo, Fútbol Club and Línea de 4. In addition to being the Home of Soccer, TUDN will also offer enhanced coverage and analysis of properties like the NFL, NBA, MLB and boxing.
More than 20 personalities will debut, including:
- Francisco J. Gonzalez: In addition to serving as head of the editorial board for TUDN, Gonzalez is an influential sports columnist who has covered the World Cup, Olympic Games and all Mexican soccer competitions.
- Antonio “Toño” de Valdés: As one of the faces of Mexican sports television since 1978, Toño has called and covered Olympic Games, World Cups, Super Bowls and World Series.
- Alejandro de la Rosa: An experienced journalist who spent the first 14 years of his career at ESPN, de la Rosa brings tremendous experience covering both European and Mexican soccer to his new team at TUDN.
- Francisco “Kikin” Fonseca: Blessed with extraordinary charisma and two Liga MX championships, Fonseca will deliver compelling analysis of TUDN’s top soccer properties for a range of programs and live telecasts.
- Valeria Marin: A newspaper reporter turned broadcaster, Marin joins TUDN after spending the past six years of her career as a leading personality at Fox Deportes. The experienced host and reporter will contribute to TUDN’s coverage of the NFL, NBA, MLB and soccer.
- Emanuel “Tito” Villa: A recently retired soccer star, Villa’s career lasted more than 15 years and included stretches in both Liga MX and the English Premier League. Now, he will provide insight into the sport’s top players and teams for TUDN.
- Enrique Burak: One of the Fonoteca Nacional’s “Voices of Mexican Sport,” the prolific sportscaster has been calling the world’s biggest sporting events for more than 35 years. His repertoire ranges from the NFL, MLB and NBA to sports like track and field, gymnastics, diving, swimming, bowling, tennis and rowing.
- Guillermo “Memo” Schutz: A versatile host, commentator and journalist, Schutz will contribute to TUDN’s coverage of multiple sports, including soccer and boxing. He has worked World Cups, Olympic Games, Pan-American Games, Super Bowls, World Series and NBA Finals.
- Moises Muñoz: A recently retired veteran of Liga MX and the Mexican National Team, Muñoz joins TUDN after covering the 2018 FIFA World Cup for Fox Sports. The bilingual broadcaster will provide analysis and commentary in both Spanish and English.
- Oswaldo Sanchez: As one of the top Mexican goalkeepers of all-time, Sanchez will bring unmatched credibility to his analysis of top soccer properties, including Liga MX and the Mexican National Team.
Familiar faces under the TUDN brand will include Adriana Monsalve, Lindsay Casinelli, Enrique Bermudez, Luis Omar Tapia, Ivan Zamorano, Marc Crosas, Diego Balado, Francisco Villa, Hristo Stoichkov, Tony Cherchi, Ana Caty Hernandez and Lucia Villalon and many more.
TUDN is the multimedia sports division of Univision Communications Inc., the leading Hispanic media company in the U.S. Built around the flagship TUDN cable network, the nation’s No. 1 Spanish-language sports channel, TUDN reaches audiences across Univision’s television portfolio, as well as through the TUDN Radio Network, the TUDN mobile app and TUDN.com. TUDN possesses an industry-leading portfolio of live soccer rights through partnerships with 16 Liga MX clubs, the Mexican Football Federation, US Soccer, UEFA, Concacaf, Major League Soccer, Bundesliga and many more.
About Univision Communications Inc.
As the leading Hispanic media company in the U.S., Univision Communications Inc. entertains, informs and empowers U.S. Hispanics with news, sports and entertainment content across broadcast and cable television, audio and digital platforms. The company’s top-rated media portfolio includes the Univision and UniMás broadcast networks, as well as cable networks Univision Deportes Network (UDN) and Galavisión. Locally, Univision owns or operates 65 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico. Additionally, Uforia, the Home of Latin Music, encompasses 58 owned or operated radio stations, plus 89 affiliates, a live event series and a robust digital audio footprint. The company’s prominent digital assets include Univision.com , streaming service Univision Now, the largest Hispanic influencer network and several top-rated apps. For more information, visit corporate.univision.com .
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190507006027/en/
CONTACT: Tatiana Oviedo
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA FLORIDA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: WOMEN ENTERTAINMENT SOCCER TV AND RADIO GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT CONSUMER SPORTS FAMILY MEN
SOURCE: Univision Communications Inc.
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 05/07/2019 03:21 PM/DISC: 05/07/2019 03:21 PM