Prosecutors reviewing retrying man after witness recants
KANKAKEE, Ill. (AP) — Prosecutors in northern Illinois say they are reconsidering whether to retry a man convicted of a 1999 murder after a child witness recanted his testimony.
Terrence Haynes is scheduled to go on trial June 10 for the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Cezaire Murrell. Haynes claims he was forced to shoot Murrell after the man threatened him with a gun.
Marcus Hammond was 11 years old when he testified Murrell was unarmed at the time of the shooting. The now 30-year-old Hammond says he gave false testimony at the urging of prosecutors.
Three adult witnesses told police Murrell was armed when he threatened and approached Haynes, records show. None testified at the first trial.
An appellate court earlier this year ordered Haynes’ release from prison and granted him a new trial.
During a hearing Monday, Kankakee County State’s Attorney Jim Rowe said police need to speak with four potential witnesses before determining whether to prosecute Haynes again.