Related topics

Typhoon Kills 26 in N. Philippines

November 3, 2000

MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ Typhoon Bebinca barreled through the northern Philippines on Friday, killing at least 26 people, triggering landslides and flooding many areas, officials and radio reports said.

Schools, government offices and many shops and banks were closed. Packing winds of up to 95 mph, the storm was about 105 miles west of Manila midday Friday, moving toward southern China, the weather bureau said.

In Laguna province, four mountain climbers drowned as they tried to cross a swollen river, provincial Gov. Joey Lina said. They were part of a group of more than 100 climbers trapped by the river, and later rescued by soldiers and police, civil defense officials said. Elsewhere in the province, three people, including two children, were killed in a landslide and two others drowned in a river, Lina said.

Ten people were killed in landslides in Anitpolo City, Manila and Cagayan and Nueva Vizcaya provinces. Five people total also drowned in the two provinces.

In suburban Quezon City, a falling tree killed a man. A small radio transmitter tower collapsed on a home in suburban Marikina City, impaling one man and injuring his 8-year-old daughter, radio reports said.

More than 10,500 people were evacuated because of flooding in suburban Taguig and four provinces east of Manila, the office of civil defense said.

At least 1,300 commuters were stranded at a port southeast of Manila because ferries were not allowed to leave. Several Philippine Airlines flights were diverted to the central Philippines.

Powerful winds and big waves slammed at least seven barges into a seawall along Manila Bay.

Bebinca arrived a week after Typhoon Xangsane swept through the northern Philippines and left 40 people dead, 249 injured and 66 missing.

The civil defense office estimated that Xangsane caused $25 million worth of damage and forced more than 118,000 people to flee their homes because of damage and flooding.

After leaving the Philippines early this week, Xangsane moved north to Taiwan, where officials said at least 58 people had died in the island’s worst flooding in three decades.

Update hourly