AP NEWS

Man pleads no contest in teen’s fatal shooting

January 24, 2018

RUTLAND, Vt. (AP) — Vermont prosecutors have reached a plea deal with a man who police say shot a 19-year-old after he was told the gun wasn’t loaded.

William Bailey pleaded no contest to a manslaughter charge last week in the death of Daniel Hein. In exchange, prosecutors say they will argue for a three- to five-year prison sentence for the 20-year-old, with two years suspended.

Prosecutors also required Bailey to testify at any trial related to the case.

Police say Jonathan Testa gave Bailey a gun in December 2016 and said it wasn’t loaded. Authorities say Bailey shot Hein after the teen challenged Bailey to point the gun at him and pull the trigger.

Testa is facing a manslaughter charge which prosecutors say he is trying to dismiss.

AP RADIO
Update hourly