AP NEWS
Related topics

2-Year-Old Dies After Being Left in Car; Mixup Blamed

August 20, 1988

MESA, Ariz. (AP) _ A 2-year-old boy died after relatives accidentally left him in a car and searing afternoon sun raised the temperature inside the vehicle to about 200 degrees, police said.

James Michael Krick Jr. of Glendale was strapped into his child restraint seat and was in the closed car for about two hours before he was discovered Friday afternoon, police said.

The boy probably died within a half-hour of heat prostration or heat stroke, investigators said.

Police Sgt. Al Mitchell said the boy and his 5-year-old sister were returning from an outing with their grandmother, 55-year-old Martha May, and their uncle, 33-year-old Jeff Krick, when the child was left in the car.

Police said the child was asleep and apparently was overlooked when the uncle and Ms. May, carrying James’ sleeping sister, went inside Ms. May’s home after parking in the driveway about 3 p.m.

Ms. May assumed Krick, her son, would bring the boy inside, and Krick thought his mother would do so, Mitchell said.

Feeling ill, the grandmother decided to nap, and Krick left the house in another car for an appointment, Mitchell said. When Ms. May woke about two hours later, she realized James was missing.

″The windows are tinted so even the neighbors wouldn’t have seen the child in there,″ Mitchell said. ″It is a very tragic situation.″

Paramedics who tried unsuccessfully to revive the boy took his temperature, but it was too high to measure with the thermometer, said police Sgt. Steve Corich.

AP RADIO
Update hourly